Author Topic: New Anti-Spam Modifications added to the AnimeIowa Forums  (Read 483 times)

Offline Tongo_Jeff

• Court Guard Commander {Administrator}
  • Soul Reaper
  • Hospitality Leader / Enviro Engineer / Forum Admin
New Anti-Spam Modifications added to the AnimeIowa Forums
« on: December 18, 2010, 01:16:27 AM »
To help support our recently added "Zero Tolerance" Spam Policy, we have installed two new anti-spam Forum modifications.  One of these works to make it more difficult for "spambots" to register as Forum members.  The other isolates all new posts and threads with spam, advertising, and other types of inappropriate content.

We request that Forum users please bear with us for a few days as we tune these anti-spam measures for best performance.  If you're still having difficulties posting or registering a new account AFTER December 19, 2010, please take the following actions:

• I tried to make a post, but received a warning that it had been "classified as spam" and held for approval.  Think about the content of your post.  Did it contain any words, links, or content hosted on websites that might be associated with spam?  If so, please try to post again without this content.  If not, no worries!  The Forum Administrators will be reviewing held posts and will release ones that aren't spam.
  • Whenever I try to make a post, I receive the message "Invalid API key. Please obtain one from http://wordpress.com/api-keys/".  If you received this message on 12/17/2010 or 12/18/2010, it was probably generated as we installed and registered the new anti-spam software.  Try to post again starting on 12/19/2010.
  • Okay, I waited until 12/19/2010, but am STILL getting the message "Invalid API key. Please obtain one from http://wordpress.com/api-keys/".  Does your computer or mobile device use any software plugins or apps from Akismet?  It's often used with blogging software such as WordPress, LifeType, and other self-publishing programs (see list here).  If so, check that your API Key is indeed up-to-date and valid, and that your host does not block out-going connections to askismet.com.  More details are here.
  • I can't register as a user on the AnimeIowa Forums.  It says that I'm a bot!  Are you a spambot?  If so, thank you for confirming that our anti-spambot software is working! ;D  If you're a human, be sure to read and answer all of the registration questions CAREFULLY and accurately. ;)

We hope these measures help us keep the AnimeIowa Forums spam-free.  If you've read and tried the above actions, and are still having posting or Forum registration difficulties, please contact the Forum Administrators at aiforums@animeiowa.com.

Thank you for visiting the AnimeIowa Forums!

~Jeff
AnimeIowa Lead Forum Moderator
COSPLAYS FOR ANIMEIOWA 2015:
Friday - ?? {0%}
Saturday - Shigure Sohma (Fruits Basket) {100%}

Offline Jinruiai

• Forum Team Member
  • Soul Reaper
  • Otaku for 18yrs and counting! ^^b
    • Facebook
Re: New Anti-Spam Modifications added to the AnimeIowa Forums
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 08:50:11 AM »
Sounds good. *fingers crossed* ^^x
Favorite Anime: Fall 2011 - The Future Diary(Mirai Nikki)

Offline FateHasReasons

• Soul Reaper
  • that obsessive otaku you love!
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 01:32:38 PM »
    I tried to make a post, but received a warning that it had been "classified as spam" and held for approval.  Think about the content of your post.  Did it contain any words, links, or content hosted on websites that might be associated with spam?  If so, please try to post again without this content.  If not, no worries!  The Forum Administrators will be reviewing held posts and will release ones that aren't spam.

well that's the thing. i didn't have any words, links, or content that was on another site. i was just type it and posting with intending on it meaning anything to any website or what not and it flagged it as spam, but it's not just me it's doing it to. it keeps doing to  some of my friends as well like Kai0Nyuu and Mayako. and i think it's doing for some other people because i've gotten notified of posts that aren't there when i click the link in the message.
AI 2012
Black Rock Shooter (Dress outfit) 70% -maybe
Magane Len 0% -definitely
Xerxes Break (Yura party outfit) 0% -definitely
Neko!Len 0% -definitely
Nezumi 0% -definitely

Offline hylian-dragoness

• Soul Reaper
  • But I'm drunk NOW!
    • deviantART
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 04:18:37 PM »
    I tried to make a post, but received a warning that it had been "classified as spam" and held for approval.  Think about the content of your post.  Did it contain any words, links, or content hosted on websites that might be associated with spam?  If so, please try to post again without this content.  If not, no worries!  The Forum Administrators will be reviewing held posts and will release ones that aren't spam.

well that's the thing. i didn't have any words, links, or content that was on another site. i was just type it and posting with intending on it meaning anything to any website or what not and it flagged it as spam, but it's not just me it's doing it to. it keeps doing to  some of my friends as well like Kai0Nyuu and Mayako. and i think it's doing for some other people because i've gotten notified of posts that aren't there when i click the link in the message.

Same thing just happened to me o3o I used "car" in my post...is that a trigger word? I don't have any links in my signature nor did I have one in that post...

made by bananzers c:

Offline Tongo_Jeff

• Soul Reaper
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 03:52:52 AM »
new angst now: for some reason everything i post on the forums is being flagged as spam for some reason.

i second this- ive had several posts now be marked as spam DX

Howdy, FateHasReasons and hylian-dragoness!  Our Forum spam filters are indeed hard at work, and are doing a FANTASTIC job at catching hundreds of horrible advertising and pron posts, so that they are never seen by our good forum members. :)  I personally review EVERY :P captured message, and release the acceptable ones every 1-2 days.  In your cases, the reason that your posts are being flagged as spam is NOT because of the content, but because of your grammar.  Post with the use of chat-style, "phone text", and incorrect grammar are VERY often used by spammers, and therefore can trigger the filters.  We understand that that the spam filters CAN be an inconvenience, but I assure you that it's WAY preferable to the spammy alternative! ;D

So if your messages are being caught by the spam filters, please be patient and know that they will soon be approved and posted.  You may also wish to consider using more formal / correct grammar, which will allow most of your messages to be posted without delay. ;)

Thanks!

~Jeff
AnimeIowa 2011 Forum Lead Moderator
Friday - ?? {0%}

Offline Lady Yunalesca

• Soul Reaper
  • I spins round
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 05:53:07 AM »
Hey, I posted in the 2011 photoshoot thread twice (one went through) the only difference between the one that took and the one that was marked as spam, was that in the "spam" one I had quoted KuramaBabe's post. My grammar and hers were fine so it shouldn't have been that, but I thought I'd let you know in case something was weird.
Cosplays for '11

Princess Midna, Himura Kenshin, Tifa Lockhart, Summoner Yuna

Offline Tongo_Jeff

• Soul Reaper
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 07:54:20 AM »
Hey, I posted in the 2011 photoshoot thread twice (one went through) the only difference between the one that took and the one that was marked as spam, was that in the "spam" one I had quoted KuramaBabe's post. My grammar and hers were fine so it shouldn't have been that, but I thought I'd let you know in case something was weird.

Small structure changes can make a big difference to the spam identification algorithms, as they are compared against an offsite database of confirmed spam sources and samples.

~Jeff
Friday - ?? {0%}

anything